ONAPA 2023 STEWARDSHIP ASSISTANT
(SA) Contract Position
Download this position description HERE.
This contract position is designed to assist ONAPA with several stewardship activities including habitat management on nature preserves, preserve monitoring (status review of preserves not visited regularly by DNAP), rare plant monitoring with DNAP and USFWS, and other assigned activities such as database management. These activities will provide an individual recently graduated from college or just finishing their junior year of college with excellent field experience and good contacts for future full-time employment. Graduate students are also welcome to apply.
- Individual may work 10-20 hours a week for up to a 6-month period (1-3 days per week); work may be flexible in case assistance is needed for more than 2 days in a given week. The six-month contract period will likely be April/May – October/November (~25 weeks for 300-400 hours total).
- Most work will be done with others, but there may be some preserve visits conducted on your own with your own vehicle. Some invasive plant control may be done on your own at designated preserves in central Ohio. This work will be conducted in cooperation with DNAP and with direction from ONAPA.
- Ideally, ONAPA is looking for an individual recently graduated from an Ohio college program with a biology/botany/natural resources major, or significant course work in these areas. However, college students going into their senior year or graduate students are also welcome to apply.
- SA will assist with ONAPA Stewardship Projects on preserves (see schedule on ONAPA website).
- SA will assist with rare plant survey and monitoring projects in cooperation with DNAP & USFWS.
- SA will conduct preserve visits to report on preserve status, per ONAPA Preserve Monitoring guidelines.
- SA will conduct invasive plant control work on selected preserves within 2 hours of central Ohio.
- SA may assist with ONAPA websitel Facebook page and Instagram, as well as the volunteer database as needed.
If you are interested in this position, please contact ONAPA HERE. We will contact you and ask that you submit a resume for the position. Interviews are expected to be conducted in April. The position will likely run from mid-May for three to six months.
Donations needed for new stewardship assistant team in 2023
ONAPA is still planning to start a second stewardship team in 2023 in the west and southwest portions of Ohio. Our development committee is working to raise $50,000 towards this effort and will be working in several ways to raise these funds.
If you would like to support this effort, feel free to CONTACT US or send a donation directly to our ONAPA address: PO Box 415,
Johnstown, OH 43031. If you specify that you want your donation to go towards stewardship, we will make sure that happens! With almost 20 partners across Ohio now, our stewardship team is helping to manage natural areas, besides state nature preserves, that need our help, including sites owned by the Cleveland Museum of Natural
History and The Nature Conservancy. In SW Ohio, we will be working with Great Parks, Beaver Creek Wetlands Association, and other partners.